Abstract: The new Series 6 with advanced M6 cells in Mono & Bifacial module types come with Mono PERC technology and Multi Bus Bar features. This new module series offers: EXCELLENT LOW LIGHT PERFORMANCE, PERFORMANCE GUARANTEED IN PARTIAL SHADOW, REDUCTION IN HOTSPOT TEMPERATURES, BETTER TOLERANCE TO MICRO CRACK, REDUCED POWER LOSS, DESIGN USING CIRCULAR RIBBONS, HIGH RELIABILITY, FIT FOR ALL WEATHER, NEAR ZERO PID, REDUCED O&M COST features.
Solar energy is the future and growing demand is leaning towards that. The solar demand is expected to grow by 15% to add more than 130 GW of new solar capacity globally in 2021. There is also a trend of emerging higher Watt Peak (Wp) modules. In the 1950s, solar modules only converted about 6% of the sun’s energy into electricity, producing close to 20 watts of electricity.
The rapidly increasing numbers from 500 Wp and to as high as 600-650 Wp indicate a phenomenal growth trajectory not just in technology but also demand. With the development of PERC technology, Monocrystalline solar panels reached efficiency range from (16% to 24%). PERC solar cells typically perform better than traditional panels in both low-light conditions and high temperatures.
Understanding the need and the growing demand, we have introduced New M6 cell powered Series 6 in Mono & Bifacial variants titled Somera Series 6 and Prexos Series 6 respectively with Mono PERC technology and Multi Bus Bar features. The new Series 6 modules will provide higher power output of up to 505 watt-peak (Wp) and an efficiency of more than 21%.
New M6 cell powered Series 6 can offer a significant boost in energy-
- Reducing the number of modules for a project
- Reducing cable, bracket, and mounting equipment cost (BOS cost)
- Reducing the Levelized Cost of Electricity (LCOE)
- Reducing of about 80% in power loss using 9BB
- Reducing the need for space
- Uses glass to transparent back sheet design:
- – Increasing power generation
- – Limiting glass usage
- – Limiting potential induced degradation (PID)
- – Offering easy to transport light weight structure
The new product series is fashioned with Multi Bus Bars to reduce resistive losses and will be available in 120, 144 & 156 cell versions.
Design of the Module:
The technologically advanced M6 cell powered new Series 6 modules are designed to offer-
- EXCELLENT LOW LIGHT PERFORMANCE– Be it early morning, cloud or dusk, the monofacial modules perform even at low light conditions, due to the use of Mono-PERC cell technology
- PERFORMANCE GUARANTEED IN PARTIAL SHADOW– Innovative Series Parallel connection to ensure shadow optimisation in portrait mode
- REDUCTION IN HOTSPOT TEMPERATURES– Decline in heat production reduces chances of hot spot generation in shaded conditions. Lower heat production positively affects module longevity
- BETTER TOLERANCE TO MICRO CRACK– Higher number of busbar makes the PV modules less prone to loss in efficiency which happens generally due to micro-cracks
- REDUCED POWER LOSS– Multi Busbar module with M6 cells allows the electrical charges to travel a comparatively shorter distance with less resistance. Lower internal resistance boosts the module power helping to achieve lower cell to module conversion loss
- DESIGN USING CIRCULAR RIBBONS– Round-shaped busbar increases the scattering effect towards the cell surface for higher cell absorption; the result is ~1% increased module performance
- HIGH RELIABILITY– The possibility of lesser cell stress during module fabrication lowers the risk of module degradation in extreme weather conditions
And when it comes to the Prexos Series 6- Bifacial Glass to Transparent Backsheet module, the offerings include–
- NEAR ZERO PID– Use of a highly resistive encapsulant that does not contain or produce any chemical components that degrade cell metallization or interconnections, such as peroxides, or acetic acids in the case of EVA encapsulant
- FIT FOR ALL WEATHER– The new upgraded material of bifacial modules provides greater resistance to heat and is more durable in fluctuating temperatures. Our modules can be installed in a wide range of geographic terrains like snow, desert or water, the state of art design having glass to transparent backsheet have excellent capabilities to withstand the extreme topographies
- LONG DURABILITY & AGEING RESISTANCE– Advantages of Polyolefin Elastomeric (POE) encapsulant:
- – Lower yellowness index;
- – Relatively more UV resistance;
- – Low water vapour transmission rate;
- – Better adhesion to glass, making the module more durable
REDUCED O&M COST– Significant reduction in cleaning frequency of the rear side of the module due to excellent anti-staining performance of the hydrophobic backsheet
These new age modules are designed with two proposed models for PID degradation for PERC solar cells [PID-shunting (PID-s), PID-polarization (PID-p)]. (See Pic 1)
These modules also come with High Transmittance Back-Sheet Selection, offering high bifaciality to compete with G-G design, achieving Lower LCOE. (See Pic 2)
These modules employ better heat dissipating capacity. (See Pic 3)
Features that make Prexos Series 6 stand out:
Larger High efficiency cell, Tracker compatibility, Inverter compliance, Higher Wp in container, PVF / Tedlar based backsheet, higher GSM POE encapsulate, 40 mm Robust design frame, MC4 or Compatible connectors
We at Vikram Solar are proud to have built one of India’s top notch production facilities producing best-in-class modules that are shipped globally.
We are proud to be the first Tier 1* Indian solar manufacturer to introduce M6 cell based and Mono PERC technology supported advanced M6 series modules in the country.
Our new M6 series comes in Mono & Bifacial module types with Mono PERC technology and Multi Bus Bars features.
Larger and more powerful M6 cell allows space for cost reductions on the PV array side. Balance-of-system costs can be decreased per watt-peak installed by the utilization of a bigger wafer. The result is a lower levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) and higher return on investment for PV projects.
Series 6 modules offer reduced power loss (see Pic 4)
This technologically advanced solar module series offers increased shade tolerance as well. (See Pic 5)
M6 series modules are best for developers as well. As with a larger module size, each array requires fewer brackets, therefore, the bracket cost is reduced, and the number of pile foundations is generally proportional to the number of brackets. Therefore, the cost decreases significantly with the increase of module power.
Here are the field results. (See Pic 6)
Larger modules have little effect on the transportation and installation speed, the installation efficiency of modules and brackets per Wp will be enhanced; as the capacity per array is determined by the inverter and can be deemed fixed, high-power modules can reduce the use of combiner boxes or string inverters, and the reduction in the use of brackets can reduce the footprint of the array (considering the front and back spacing and the left and right spacing of the brackets), and the reduction in the number of brackets and their footprint can reduce the use of power cables.
*(Bloomberg New Energy Finance list)
The Series 6 multi-busbar (MBB) Somera and Prexos modules are available in variants ranging from 120, 144, and 156 half-cut cells. Somera 120, 144 & 156 half-cut cell variant will primarily be available in the US and International market. It is also available in ‘All black’ variant.
Higher efficiency, higher bankability solar modules is the best way to quickly reach solar to all. We are the first Indian manufacturers to introduce M6 cell based and Mono PERC technology supported advanced M6 modules in the country and we believe it will aid in reaching India’s solar targets.